For full resume, please see the following document. Nora Simon’s resume (updated March 2010)
Copy Editor, Oregon Daily Emerald, University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
Edit local news and feature stories for content, accuracy, syntax, grammar and style. Write headlines and display type for news front and entertainment section. Work with copy chief to improve display type and editing skills. Upload content online.
January 2010 – present
Business Assistant, Center for Applied Second Language Studies, University of Oregon
- Assistants office manager and grants technician with reconciling accounts payable, answering phones, filing grant and personnel documents, and performing general office tasks.
- Proofreads office documents for spelling, grammar, syntax, readability and accuracy.
September 2009 – present
Copy Editor, Ethos Magazine, University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
- Edits rough drafts of stories and proofs final magazine for grammar, accuracy, spelling, syntax and other issues.
September – December 2009
Student Copy Editor, eLearning Design Lab, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.
- Edited lesson plans and student tutorials that appear online and provide teachers with resources to teach toward Kansas assessment standards.
- Edited each lesson in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint for correct formatting, grammar and syntax, as well as overall contextual and conceptual issues.
June – August 2009
Copy Editing Intern, Lawrence Journal-World, Lawrence, Kan.
- Edited local stories and briefs, paginated the business page, weather page, and obituary page, as well as local news fronts.
- Gained proficiency in Quark and NewsEdit Pro for Macintosh.
- Learned to read copy quickly but thoroughly and to paginate with a consistent design style.
June – August 2009
Correspondent and Special Sections Editor, University Daily Kansan, Lawrence, Kan.
- Worked with 20 beginning reporters to develop feature stories for the paper’s daily 2A page and the seven spring special sections.
- Coordinated efforts among writers, copy editors, designers, photographers, advertising staff and production staff.
January – May 2009